HubPages

HubPages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 3: 350 Days Left--Saving Money

April 14

Goal: Saving money

Have I mentioned yet that I'm jobless?

Yep, I'm jobless, but that's by choice. Right after my second child was born, I decided to resign from my teaching job (which I LOVED) to be a stay-at-home mom for my kids. So what does that mean? It means a loss of a second steady income for a family of four, a dog and a turtle. Not that it means I don't have anything to do all day; I feel like I work more now than I ever did at a job!

Luckily my husband still has his full-time job, a second job and a small business to keep us afloat. We've also made sacrifices (okay, let's not call them that...I ain't no saint), I mean cuts to our everyday spending habits. In other words, we watch our money supply very carefully.

I almost resorted to extreme couponing, but what was I going to do with a million tubes of toothpaste?

Don't get me wrong. I do use coupons. I do shop sales. I do use generic brands. I just don't have the time right now to find, cut and sort an entire binder full of coupons... I digress.

Money saving. Right.

We have a separate account from our main account that houses our 'extra money', aka the money we dip into if we need to pay bills. I want to make it my goal to add to keep adding to that account at least every two weeks since we need it, but I'd also like to save money for fun things as well.

So far, I have been collecting change. That's right: collecting change in coins, and it all comes from this house. Just this morning, I gathered the change from my husband's nightstand, which totalled $20.00. Not bad, eh? I also checked the jar I have in the kitchen for collecting change: $11.00 there. Not too shabby.
money, coins
It all adds up! 

change, money, coins, saving
Change Jar in Kitchen


I'm going to keep collecting the change I find in the house, bags, pockets, etc and place it in a 'secret' jar (one that my son can't find..he loves to 'feed' his piggy banks...). I'd like to collect enough to put towards a beach vacation for the family next year. We need something like that--a place to get away and spend quality time as a family.

That, and mommy misses the beach.

~Marissa
ThePracticalMommy.HubPages.com
MmmyKnowsWhatsBest.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment